I finally made the trip to my grandparent's old house to pick up the wardrobe!! My grandfather has been gone for 22 years and my grandmother has been gone for 10 years. This is probably the nicest piece of furniture they had in their house. It has been there ever since I can remember. As far as my dad knows, he thinks it was something that they have had since they were married in 1929. In looking at it more closely, it appears to be something that my grandfather may have made himself. The glass was broken out of it by people who had broken into the house. A lot of the other furniture down there was also stolen. I am guessing that the people who broke in probably had to make a plan to get that out of there and we managed to get it before they did. Not easy when the wardrobe is taller than the doorway and part of the flooring on the front porch is falling in. Anyway, I am thrilled to be able to have salvaged this piece of furniture. If it is something that my grandfather built, his craftsmanship is extraordinary. The piece is solid and was very well built for someone without much of an education!!! Anyway, While I was there, I looked around ad was able to salvage a few other things, such as:
1. An old dress of my grandmother's. It is the polyester knit material and is white with green polka dots. I think it will make a very nice purse or bag.
2. Some old school books from the 1950's that belonged to my aunt.
3. An old blue and white chenille blanket that was on my grandparent's bed as long as I can remember.
4. Some old maps and an old Greyhound Bus Lines brochure, along with some old papers from my aunt's school years.
5. Three magazines. An old Better Home and Gardens magazine from January 1968 and two different Time magazines both from 1968. Those are in much better condition than some that I have that are less than two years old!!!
Anyway, I am thrilled that i am still able to hang on to the memories of my grandparents. For two uneducated and hard-working people, they raised 5 wonderful children!! I miss them all the time, but I know that they are looking down on me and my family everyday!!
So, I just want to thank you for stopping by my little space and going back down memory lane with me for a little while. Hope you are having a wonderful Friendship Friday!!! Be sure to stop by Create With Joy and share some stories with some old friends or make some new ones!!!
The old wardrobe being loaded into my dad's truck for a move to Little Rock. Thank you to my dad for helping me to load this and bring it to my house. And a special thank you to my grandparents. I love and miss you everyday and hope that you are proud that I did not let this go with the house.